Room to Grow: Mayfield Junior School 1950-1975
As the end of the war in 1945 ushered in a time of great optimism and growth, Mayfield’s enrollment numbers neared 200. The school needed more space. In 1947, Dr. Charles Strub, a past parent and generous benefactor of the school took the Sisters to see a property that seemed ideal as the new home for the senior division. Thus began three years of negotiation, zoning battles and many prayers before the new campus and new home for the sisters was finalized. On June 20, 1950 the zoning battle was won and the Senior School moved to its new home on Bellefontaine Street.
September 1950 brought great change to Mayfield’s Euclid campus. The property on Bellefontaine was not only the new senior school campus but also the new home for nearly every member of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus community in Pasadena. With the senior girls gone, Mayfield Junior School now had the room to extend the enrollment of boys through the eighth grade.
In the 1950s the first alumnae returned to Mayfield Junior School as teachers, the first Field Day (now Blue and White Day) was introduced and the Mayfield Award was established. First Communion was celebrated each year with a mass and breakfast for the Communicants and their families. The bungalows on Euclid were torn down to make room for the Elementary Building at a cost of $116,000 and Mayfield celebrated its Silver Jubilee in the spring of 1956. As part of the festivities, the entire school participated in a rendition of The Mikado. In 1959, Mayfield Junior School graduated its first eighth grade class with boys.
During the 1960s and 1970s, Mayfield Junior School was not immune to a changing world. The decisions of Vatican II were slowly transforming the lives of the Sisters and in many ways setting the stage for a new chapter in the life of the school. In August 1968, the convent on Euclid was once again a home for several Sisters and new freedoms allowed the community to commit more time to causes they found important. While academics remained strong and students continued to explore the area in numerous field trips, there was a renewed commitment to outreach efforts in support of the Sisters’ work. From collections for victims of the Biafran War to interaction with inner city school children, students at Mayfield Junior School were aware and involved. A film study class enhanced academic subjects and exposed the older students to literary interpretation while in speech class students debated the issues of Cold War politics.
Enrollment had grown significantly and more space was necessary to accommodate not only the increased numbers but the strong academic program. A campaign to support the future of Mayfield Schools received overwhelming support from the community and in 1967 addition property was purchased for a new Junior Building, adding much needed classroom space including a science lab and art studio to Mayfield Junior School’s campus. Student interests and talents were also supported in special events. While beloved traditions such as the Harvest Festival and the Christmas Nativity Play continued, students participated in an annual Gym Show and Science Fair and entered artwork in the Art Festival that featured student work from several local independent school students. Mayfield Junior School had renewed its commitment in the early 1960s to increasing the number of boys enrolled and had been successful.