Celebrating 90 Years of Holy Child Education

List of 4 items.

  • The Early Years: Mayfield School 1931-1950

    After repeated invitations from John J. Cantwell, Bishop of Los Angeles, to open a Catholic school in the Los Angeles area, the General Council of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus, made a unanimous decision in May 1931 to accept his offer and open Mayfield School in Pasadena. At that time, Pasadena’s population was about 80,000 and although there were fine private schools in Pasadena, there was not one private Catholic school among them.
    Read More
  • Room to Grow: Mayfield Junior School 1950-1975

    As the end of the war in 1945 ushered in a time of great optimism and growth, Mayfield’s enrollment numbers neared 200. The school needed more space. In 1947, Dr. Charles Strub, a past parent and generous benefactor of the school took the Sisters to see a property that seemed ideal as the new home for the senior division. Thus began three years of negotiation, zoning battles and many prayers before the new campus and new home for the sisters was finalized. On June 20, 1950 the zoning battle was won and the Senior School moved to its new home on Bellefontaine Street.
    Read More
  • A Changing Campus: 1975-1993

    The late 1970s and 1980s brought many changes and more growth to the campus. Administrators began to look to the future, developing long-range plans and building a committed board of trustees. Mayfield Junior School’s first Board of Trustees was established in 1975 with Mr. William Howell as Chair.
    Read More
  • Looking Toward the Future: 1993-Today

    In the fall of 1993, Mayfield Junior School welcomed Mrs. Stephanie Griffin as head of school. Mrs. Griffin was committed to maintaining academic excellence and sustaining the family spirit of the school. Under her guidance, Mayfield Junior School continued to build on the traditions established and supported by previous generations of students. A commitment to “Actions not Words” increased community outreach and service. Providing space for the art and music programs allowed student potential to be explored. A dream came true in 1998 when a multipurpose building was completed adding a gymnasium, chapel, art studio, music rooms and an expanded after school program to the campus.
    Read More